Are YOU interested in starting a new convivium in your area?
Yes? Great! It is a bit of a lengthy process, but we, at Slow Food in Canada, are here to support you along the way. Read on for more details.
According to the 2013 Slow Food Mission Report, the role of a Convivium leader is define or described as: ” Convivium leaders manage the organization of courses, tastings, dinners and trips, along with the promotion of international campaigns on the local level, the activation of larger projects, such as the school gardens, and participation in the main events that slow food organizes internationally.”
Please find the process outlined, below.
- STEP ONE: A minimum of 12 people must be gathered to start a new convivium You will need 20 members within the year to become an “official convivium”, so membership will be the push for the first couple of years. To register members, familiarize yourself with the types of membership available, attached. Gather the membership forms and money via the appointed Treasurer in your group and retain until 12 people have submitted their membership application and fees.
All applicants must agree to the Slow Food Convivium Protocol (see below) and it is to be signed by the leader.
- STEP TWO: Make sure people understand what Slow Food is, as you gather your interested group. Make sure that all members read the following documents to understand the fundamental aspects of the Slow Food philosophy and organization. This is a very important part of our membership process. Meeting to discuss these documents and how they relate to your locality may be a very good starting point.
- Vademecum (How to Start a New Convivium)
- Slow Food Convivium Protocol
- Code of Use for SF International Logos and Trademarks
- Memberships Available to Slow Food in Canada Members
- Membership Application
- Fee Allocation for SF in Canada
- Central Role of Food
- The International Statute
- Convivial Pursuits – examples of Slow Food Activities
- STEP THREE: Once the Slow Food Convivium Protocol is signed and sent to our representative at Slow Food International, the Slow Food Service Center usually sends the leader the following materials:
- a copy of the protocol
- logo specific to the new convivium
- membership cards
Please Note: noting that the address of the leader will be the address of the convivium, so if you are out of town, pick an in town address if you want future members to know there is a convivium in your town.
- STEP FOUR: Once you have 12 people (please make sure no one becomes a member through Slow Food Italy), send the membership applications to Slow Food in Canada’s International Coordinator, and include:
- name, address, e-mail, phone number, payment type (family, ind. etc)
- indicate that membership fees have collected and that an invoice must be sent by Slow Food International for their portion of the membership money which your Treasurer will then send to them, after they do this. Slow Food in Canada now advises new convivia to do this, as it takes SFInternational a very long time to sort out the financials and get new convivia their membership start up money. In this manner, you have it.
- STEP FIVE: After a new Convivium is organized, forms have been signed and sent in, please keep Slow Food in Canada informed throughout the process. Slow Food in Canada will then send out a Press Release and it would be beneficial for the local convivium to hold a press conference, attached to an inaugural meeting and celebration of the new beginning. (a theme dinner or lunch to included a gastronomic tour) The important aspect for the membership, the press and the public is that the idea be coherent with the philosophy of the Slow movement.
We know that is a lot to take in all at once, but step by step, this is very gratifying work! We are thrilled you have expressed an interest.
We hope to be working with you very soon!
– The Slow Food in Canada team