Slow Food Chefs Alliance
In this section…
- What is the Alliance?
- The Alliance’s objectives
- Contact information
What is the Alliance?
The Slow Food Cooks’ Alliance is a network uniting chefs around the world who are committed to defending biodiversity, traditional gastronomic skills and local cultures and supporting virtuous food producers.
Chefs have a fundamental role to play in safeguarding the biological and cultural diversity of our food. They are the best interpreters of our local areas and can promote local products with skill and creativity, raising the profile of the custodians of biodiversity.
Visit the official Canadian Slow Food Cooks’ Alliance website here.
The Alliance’s objectives are:
• To inspire the creation and strengthening of direct relationships (of work, collaboration, friendship and solidarity) between chefs and food producers.
• To promote the products of the Ark of Taste, wild products, Presidia and “good, clean and fair” products made locally on a small scale, thus protecting food biodiversity at risk of extinction.
• To support and raise awareness about small-scale farms and artisanal food producers.
• To promote Slow Food membership and develop and strengthen the Slow Food network in local communities, bringing producers, chefs and restaurateurs closer to Slow Food’s values.
• To promote local gastronomic traditions and artisanal knowledge.
• To educate the public about the need to make sustainable consumption choices.
• To assist the movement by organizing fundraising events, to provide concrete support to Slow Food’s biodiversity-protection projects and the Terra Madre network’s activities.
• To translate Slow Food’s international campaigns (like the sustainable fishing campaign, Slow Fish, or the campaigns against food waste and GMOs, in favor of biodiversity and raw-milk cheeses, to protect agricultural landscapes, etc.) into concrete, everyday actions.
• To apply and promote the principles defended in the Slow Food Manifestos in everyday work of the chefs and
Click here to download the Chefs Alliance Regulations.
A cook who joins the Alliance chooses to:
• Use local, quality ingredients, supplied by farmers, herders, fishers, butchers, bakers and artisans who preserve traditional knowledge and techniques and work with respect for the environment, the landscape and animal welfare.
• Promote virtuously produced local foods, starting with those from the Ark of Taste, Slow Food Presidia, and the Terra Madre food communities, giving visibility and dignity to the producers and their work and recognizing their true value.
Click here to download the Cooks’ Alliance Application form – Canada.
Slow Food Montréal (Bobby Grégoire)
5674 Ave Christophe-Colomb, Montréal (Québec) H2S 2G1
Slow Food Vancouver Island & Gulf Islands (Brooke Fader)
1831 Maple Avenue South, Sooke, BC, V9Z 0N9